Reality television star Kim Kardashian shared a photo of her feet after donning designer heels for a day. “Swollen feet or a new Givenchy tattoo?” the celebrity joked in the caption of her photo. Kardashian, who is pregnant, enjoyed a date night with beau Kanye West while talking about her swollen feet. Swollen feet are a common occurrence in pregnant women, and not even celebrities such as Kardashian are invulnerable to the symptoms.
It is important that pregnant women care for their feet. If you believe you suffer from foot problems as a result of swollen feet from pregnancy, it is best to seek a podiatrist like Dr. Bryant Tarr of Sudbury & Westford Podiatry. Dr. Tarr will evaluate your condition and provide appropriate treatment options for your feet.
What foot problems can arise during pregnancy?
One problem that can occur is over-pronation, which occurs when the arch of the foot flattens and tends to roll inward. This can cause pain and discomfort in your heels while you’re walking or even just standing up, trying to support your baby.
Another problem is edema, or swelling in the extremities. This often affects the feet during pregnancy, but tends to occur in the later stages.
How can I keep my feet healthy during pregnancy?
• Wearing orthotics can provide extra support for the feet and help distribute weight evenly
• Minimize the amount of time spent walking barefoot
• Wear shoes with good arch support
• Wear shoes that allow for good circulation to the feet
• Elevate feet if you experience swelling
• Massage your feet
• Get regular, light exercise, such as walking, to promote blood circulation to the feet